Friday, March 6, 2009

Unbelieveable!

You know I can't believe sometimes how long it has taken me to learn things. Sometimes I think I've learned them and then I guess I forget and have to learn them all over again! I know that I am no different than you, to say that I am puts to much emphasis on me, makes me the center of my universe. I know that all of us go through the same kinds of things, maybe the circumstances different, but the struggles the same. I want to come back to the thought of what reality is, you see God is working in my thoughts and my heart so that I may comprehend more of His greatness. I have been thinking this week through the prompting of scripture and through the teaching in; In Search of a confident Faith of how I am in need of a paradigm shift, ( I don't really use big words like that on my own, so I borrow them!). In my life I get bogged down with the practical stuff and I forget how big God is. If you try to deal with all the daily stuff without the remembrance of your awesome Lord you will get bogged down. You know that He is so big and so different than anything that is, all of creation cannot hold Him, (Psa. 139:7-12) and yet I don't live my life in such a way that people know how big He is through me. How sad. So I have to step back and ask myself what is it that I believe about Him. Look at Luke 24:4-11. What did the disciples believe about Him before His crucifixion? Did they believe every word He spoke, and if so look at their response, they were just like you and me. They thought the women's words were "nonsense". It did not seem plausible to them that He would be alive, it was beyond their realm of possibility. Praise God that He doesn't work in our realm of anything! Yet when we continue to look at the passage it looks like Peter and John (John 20:8-9) went ahead to the tomb, maybe the words of Jesus, that they did not fully understand began to reverberate through their minds. When they got there, their confidence began to swell, their paradigm began to shift! It was plausible, in fact it was then factual He had risen! The more I walk with God, (my santification) the more I see Him work in my life the more my faith swells also! My friend Lisa and I have been studying the book of James, how powerful! We have in our lives been caught kicking and screaming through trials that God intended to use to grow us in our faith! We cannot now and will never grow fully without them!!! They are the instuments of God's hand that shakes up our patterns of life, our paradigm of the way we see reality. What if, just what if we approached life through the eyes of faith (true reality), what if when suffering happens, when trials come we smiled at the Father, the "giver of all good things" and allowed Him to build us up, teach us to become more of the image of Christ? Wow, thinking about that right now causes my heart to rise with awe for my precious Father! How small minded of me to forget that. In saying that though, we have to realize it is apart of our growing to allow the Spirit of God to identify areas and then agree with God on them and allow Him to shift our paradigm. What other things have I made bigger than God? What things are just not possible? NOTHING! I could ramble on about this, as a matter of a fact let me challenge you to look at the story of Peter walking on the water. (Matt. 14:24-33) You know the story, he saw Jesus, apparently they all did, and he ask to come to Him, and of course the Lord always allows us to come to Him. Peter then stepped out, trancending all physical matter, walked on the water out to Jesus....lost sight of the who he was walking toward and then needed to be rescued by the Savior. The thing that never dawned on me was what happened after that, hand in hand with the Savior they had to go back, walking on the water. That is the why to my needed paradigm shift, to believe that the impossible is possible and then to walk with my Father in the truth of that no matter what the trial. I know that I really sound like I am aimlessly ranting about all of this, but my mind is being taught so much that I find it hard to express it all in intelligible writing, but my heart really wants to say it with a challenge to think about what we consider is possible, then what we believe about God and how the two meet! Think about it...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paula, I too see how God has used the circumstances of my past to grow my faith in Him. Looking back at the things that were painful, I now see that I was being carried in God's hands the entire time, and the pain was me thrashing about trying to get out! If I had just been still and listened to His leading...but then that was part of the lesson wasn't it! Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have that kind of deep faith and relationship at the very beginning of my walk with Him, or at least have learned at a little faster pace than I have! I guess this is what drives me to want to share what I have learned with anyone that wants to talk...so that others might see God's hand in their lives sooner than I did and not miss out on the joy of a dependent, faith driven, deep relationship with our Father.

    I read this scripture recently: Mark 1: 40-42
    40A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean."
    41Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" 42Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured.

    What struck me was the 'If you are willing / I am willing' parts. I marvel at the humility of the man with leprosy that he would acknowledge how Jesus didn't owe him a healing, but could choose to give it to him if it was right. This man seemed to know that Jesus was so wise that if healing him was not the right thing to do at the time, then he was ready to accept that as what was best. And when Jesus said "I am willing"... it spoke so loudly to me. How many times in my life have I asked for healing, helping or rescue and not received it the way I asked for it. I see now that God was not willing because I needed to grow in my faith in Him more than I needed what I was asking for.

    This has changed my prayer life recently. I find myself asking, "Lord, if you are willing..." and then I rest in the knowledge that He has the power to do whatever is asked, but will do what is best for me, which is what will draw me closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete