Monday, February 16, 2009

The Beauty of the Lord

What is beautiful to you? My eldest daughter had her 22nd birthday last week and that caused me to think back on the day she was born. (of course!) I remember holding her in the hospital and thinking about how perfect she was to me, not unlike all of you in the same situation. I have a picture of her being held by her dad, and I can see the awe in his eyes as he cradled his newborn baby girl. How beautiful! Now as she turns 22 and is still as beautiful to me as she was then, I am reminded of how life is fleeting, because her birth seems like yesterday to me. What about beauty though? In Psalms 27:4 David speaks of wanting to gaze upon the beauty of God. "One thing I have desired of the LORD, that I will seek; That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in His temple." Did you ever think about God being beautiful? I haven't , though it would make sense, we can look around us in nature and every human being and all our diversity and the beauty of it all. How awesome is this God that we serve and how absolutely beautiful is He?! God is as much beautiful as He is majestic and powerful! Yet we don't meditate on the beauty of the Lord. As we continue the journey learning more of Him everyday, as we consider His attributes and praise Him for them all, lets stand and gaze into the beauty of the Lord our God! Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. "...that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD..."

    It's like a bride studying the beauty of her husband. You know...when we are falling in love and courting our spouse, we can sit and just stare at him, taking in the smallest details of his features. The look of his strong hands, the cut of his jaw, the specs of color in his eyes.

    This verse reminds me that as I go about my day, I am in the house of the LORD and should always be looking for the signs of His strength, the scuplting of His creation all around me and the detail of the way He paints the world we live in with color.

    His beauty is in His attributes and in His creation. Thanks for that thought today Paula!

    ReplyDelete