Tuesday, February 3, 2009

His reality or mine?

Reading in a devotional the other day I was reminded of a movie that I have seen called "The Truman Show", maybe you've seen it. In the movie Jim Carrey plays Truman who lives a life that many would love to live, seemingly perfect but in reality not reality at all. You see Truman IS a reality show and doesn't even know it. All the people in his life are just actors playing a part. In the devotional the author ask the question of truth and reality, what is it? Truman at a point in the movie begins to see something is wrong, his reality is falling apart. He tries to escape one day by getting in a sailboat and sailing away when he runs into the end of the set that his life is lived on; his reality just ran out! That hit me like a rock because not too long ago my reality, the life that I had constructed slowly began to fade and ended one day. It wasn't the death of someone dear, not even the suffering that many go through with physical issues, but it was the death of my carefully designed life that I loved. I loved everything about it, and then it was taken away and I caved! I was so mad at God, I even audibly said, "if You are really even there appear to me right now tell me what I am suppose to do!" You might think how brazen that was and really it was, but at that moment God began something new in my heart and looking back, it had to hit the wall before freedom could come. Where did my freedom lay, in Christ, in who I am in Christ, in who He is in me! My identity was not in the things that I loved, for they are temporary but in the things unseen, because they are eternal. Read 2 Cor. 4, the whole chapter and that thought of what reality really is culminates in the last verse, "...while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal." I have not come to the end of this journey of understanding what God is teaching me about this, but I understand that my reality is not that illusion of what I have created, but is in my Sovereign who reigns over all! Think about it!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mrs. Paula! It is me Ryan. Great blog you have here. The Truman show truly is one of my favorite movies. So many spiritual applications. That feeling at the end of the movie, as he walks out of the giant soundstage that was his world, is alike to the Christian's realization that the things outside of our little bubble of perception, our soundstage, are more real than anything we can see. Great post, and great thoughts.

    Ryan
    http://greatintheory.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan, and that is another scene I like too, freedom for Truman. It makes me wonder if the person who wrote the screenplay was a Christian or just a person struggling with his own identity like all of us especially me! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear JP Moreland Junkie (aka Mom) I have thought that too when I watched the Truman Show, interesting how even in film we can relate it to the Bible. I think you taught me that, remember that one time in the barn we watched the weird robot movie with Robin Williams and you MADE us sit and talk about it. I didn't like that then but I guess I do the same thing now.

    Oh and I think you should end each blog with "think about it" that could be like your signature. Paula the blogger "think about it" catchy, eh?

    ReplyDelete